Friday, April 30, 2010

Its Time to Sine Die


Sine Die literally means "without day". For those of us in the legislative process it means the end of the most chaotic 60 days of our live each year. Today the Florida Legislature will adjourn the 112th legislative session, sine die. For Jim and I it is about 55 days overdue.


This was my first session with Enterprise Florida and my first session lobbying in over 5 years. When I left lobbying before I was miserable- so I was really hesitant about this session. I LOVED my job as a legislative assistant, but I needed to be in Tallahassee full time and the pay was less than stellar. That left me with limited options for employment so back to lobbying I went. So far I have really enjoyed the new job. I want to qualify that statement though, I don't love my job like I loved working for the Florida House, but I like my job and I enjoy going to work everyday. What I really love is my life now. My job has allowed me to have a life that I LOVE- and for that I am extremely happy with my decision.


Session was probably one of the toughest I can ever remember - and all the "old timers" agree. Our budget is non-exsistent and it seems that people are afraid to do anything out of the box. It was a real battle to get the smallest things accomplished and I can't believe some of the things I saw happen this year. That being said, we had a really good session overall and I will stop complaining about it. :-)


Jim had a tough but productive Session as well. His fertilizer legislation, before it was all said and done, included animal beastiality and a guns to work amendment. At "press time" the bill had to be killed because of all the garbage added onto it. A year's worth of work down the drain. But he did have two other pieces of legislation that passed both the House and Senate and now are on their way to the Governor. The Florida Nursery Growers and Landscapers Association should be very proud of the work he does for them, of course I am biased on that.


Tomorrow morning we will wake up and life will hopefully settle into a more controlled pace and we will be able to enjoy some down time. Unless of course the Governor vetoes the budget. I am looking forward to our wedding in a mere 120 days, and our honeymoon to Alaska. Oh, and my bachelorette trip to New York.


With that, may the Florida House adjourn Sine Die...

2 comments:

  1. ... and let the post session depression begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its ok CJ---you are allowed. For an ironic update though....Crist vetoed both of Jim's ag bill- so it wasn't a great Session for him at all.

    ReplyDelete