Sunday, April 1, 2012

House Painting/Spring Cleaning

Sometime this winter we took our gutters down and discovered that the fascia and soffits (I have no idea how to spell that) was rotten.  Probably because they used particle board when they built it.  So a couple of weeks ago Jim took down all the rotten board and replaced them (this took more than one trip to Lowe's and several "only a few more items")- but he did a good job and I am always super thankful that I married a man who can fix things himself. 

House with new fascia and old mauve/pink color paint

Last weekend we pressured washed the house to prepare for painting.  Since we already had to paint the new boards and I was not overly in love with the not red (really almost mauve/pink) we decided to go blue. 

I didn't want to go too light of blue- and I didn't want to go too navy either.  And while I LOVE my Gators....I didn't want Gator blue either.

Yesterday while Jim was in Gainesville I started with the front door- and that was nothing but a mess.  When I started getting everything out it was bright, sunny and hot.  The minute I put the paint brush in the oil based paint (I have never used oil based paint and that was a disaster in itself) it started raining.  So the humidity and my ineptness made for a less than pretty front door- but I got it done. 

Blue- from a distance


This morning after trying out yet another new church we started on the rest of the house- and by the rest of the house I mean the front.  I completely over estimated ourselves and what we could accomplish in a day.  I also over estimated how much paint it would take to cover that lovely mauve/pink color. 

I think the front will be the longest.  The rest of the house doesn't have shutters and the area around the garage took a lot of paint and time. 

At least the part of the house folks can see when they drive the neighborhood is painted.  Hopefully we can finish the rest in a couple of weeks.  I also now have to think about what color roof we want! 


A side view


Welcome to the Spratt's!!

1 comment: